Whose Treasure Was She?

I ended up finding an unadvertised garage sale! The woman told me that she had put it in the paper 2 other times and was rained out both times. She said she was not paying for another ad. I got lots of really cool stuff. This is the one that I really fell in love with.

Isn't she sweet?!?!?!?!

There are not any hinges holding this together. It fits together like a tin. When I opened it I found this on the back of the photo. I am sorry I could not get a really good pic of it. It says:
Esme Collings, Ltd. Then it has 4 separate locations in England listed. I am assuming that they are photography studios. It is also numbered 3708A in pencil.
The photo and glass must have needed some padding to keep it in tight. Behind the photo are cut outs. One of the ads is for mating chicks. *snorts* Another says *But first, a desperate struggle must be won. And the farmer, the factory worker and the man in uniform are working together in our fight for America's particular brand of freedom*. The other is an ad for worm capsules for your livestock. HA!
Wanna know how much she was?? 50 cents. For reals....she cost me 50 cents.

Why do I like her? For the life of me I do not know but I do. I wonder what her story was....

I am going to keep this as is. I am not going to alter the photo or the frame at all.

For now she is going to hang out at my house.


What do you think her name was?
sometimes buys things because they speak her.....

Comments

  1. Anonymous7:11 PM

    Princess Mindy for sure! p

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such an AWESOME photo. I wouldn't change it for anything. But.......It reminds me of the one of you in the yellow dress when you were little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is flippin awesome! Such a treasure! She looks like an Emily to me...at least that's the first name that popped into my head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Her name was Phillipa Langley Willigs. She lived in Dover with her mum and grandmama. They didn't have a sou to their name, but still managed to observe all the civilized customs of the day. High tea commenced at 4:00 p.m sharp. And if Phillipa or her brother Nigel were ever late, they met with the sharp address of the lash. Grandmama lived to 102, with all her wits about her, fully persuaded that Queen Victoria was the last respectable monarch ever.

    Phillipa grew up to be a senior vice president at Lloyds of London. The first woman to attain the highest position there. She attributed her success to her mum, who insisted on the highest standards no matter the circumstance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chloe Margarette Smythe, the beloved only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Smythe, the local green grocers. She was a nurse during "the Troubles" serving in Devonshire, married a US soldier named Marshall Simmons, and died a happy old widow in Sun City Arizona, childless, leaving behind 6 cats and a lovely collection of china teacups.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL @ P

    Maybe that is it Jerry. I just love the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great find! I thought I was the only person that buys photos of people that I don't know! LOL!

    She is beautiful and so is that frame. And I agree, I wouldn't change a thing.

    As to what her name might be and she she was....I think Presbyterian Gal and WinnNinnyPooPoo both have excellent stories, so I'll leave it at that! ;o)

    XOXO,

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great choice to not change a thing. I wish I found such treasures at the local yard sales - I'd snap them up too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. her name is Hortense Phoebe Childs-morgan. she was brought up in a loving family where her father was a rather absent minded professor of english history at Yale & her mother was a suffragette.


    here my imagination fails me.maybe I need more coffee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Her name is Portia. As soon as I read that sentence it just POPPED right in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful. I have something you would love, too. At an estate sale, probably about 40 years ago, my mom and I found a lovely miniature frame containing a beautiful old photo of a nun. Who could she have been? Was this photo precious to her parents, or to one of her siblings perhaps? She's still in my living room.

    (LOL PG & WNPP)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cyndi I think it would be cool to have a whole display of people I do not know bought at garage sales!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Momma Bear....that is such a great name!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dijea I love how your brain works. I really do!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Zorra that is so cool! I love knowing that is in your living room.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Take it to the antiques roadshow with PG's backstory. I'd love to see you on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous5:58 PM

    I love the stories already posted... I think she looks like a Penelope

    ReplyDelete
  18. Her name is Margaret Agnes King. She was born in Brooklyn, NY, in 1902. Her family moved to Texas in 1948 and opened a cigar store. She worked in the stock room.

    ReplyDelete
  19. her name is Elinor.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have no answer after reading all these responses. WOW. thats all I can say. WOW. to the creative ideas and minds of your subjects.

    Love you!

    P.S. word verification: bionagg
    (the reason I started composting was because my children went all 'green' on me)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! What a neat find. My mind could wander for hours imagining her and her family and all history behind that photo.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I am a girl who LOVES attention. Comment + attention = happy Mindy!

Popular Posts