MMMMM BREAD AND BUTTER



I had a fun time teasing all my friends last weekend on facebook with pictures of dough and rolls.  ~grins~  So I thought the least I can do now is share my recipe.  I have had the recipe of YEARS so I have no idea where it originally came from.  I have tweaked it several times until it is mine....and I am happy with it. 

HOT ROLLS
1 envelope dry yeast
2 Tab sugar
1/4 C warm water
1/2 C sugar
1/4 C butter
1tsp salt
1 C hot milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
4 1/3 C flour
2 Tab I swear that is all I used  I promise melted butter
Use as much butter as you want....I cannot lie....I used more than 2 Tab

Sprinkle the yeast and sugar over the very warm water in a large bowl.  Do NOT leave the sugar out.  A lot of recipes do not mix yeast with suger but TRUST ME....your yeast will love you for it!   Stir until the yeast dissolves.  Let cool a bit.  In a pan, heat your milk and allow your 1/4 C butter to melt it in.  Also allow to cool down until it is just warm.  Add your milk mixture to your yeast mixture then add in your egg.  Beat in your 4 1/3 C of flour 1 cup at a time with your wet ingredients until you get a soft dough.  You can then turn your dough out on your board and knead it for about 5 minutes.  I just leave mine in my kitchen aide mixer (I would marry it if I could) and let it run a few minutes with the dough hook.  Place your beautiful dough in a warm greased bowl and allow it to rise until it has doubled.  You can then punch it down and make your rolls.  Place your rolls in a butter greased pan and allow them to rise.  Bake in a 350 degree over for 15-20 minutes until a pretty golden color and your family is standing around the oven holding a jelly jar.

I then like to slather them with butter while they are still hot.

This is a really forgiving easy dough.  I let mine rise the first time and then punched them down and made hot rolls.  Then, instead of letting them rise again, I put waxed paper over the top and put them in the fridge.  Took them out the next morning and let them warm up and rise.  Then we cooked them and ATE THEM all gone!!

People are afraid of yeast and making bread....I promise you it is not hard!!

 

Comments

  1. Looks just sooooo yummy!

    Oh btw some sad news, I know we both had cats named Diesel, well my Diesel passed away last October, he got cancer and in 10 days we had to euthanize him.

    Good news we have 2 rescue cats and love them, although we sure miss our big black kitty!!!!!

    Have a nice Easter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah!! Thanks for sharing and you know me, I am not afraid of yeast. I think if you just learn about the chemical reaction needed to make good bread and gain experience with it...it is so satisfying to make fresh yeast rolls and breads. Mmmmm...I am smitten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you brush these with anything before you bake them to get them so nicely browned?

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohmylord this looks so good. I take it you aren't doing "no flour, no sugar," }}EVIL GRIN{{
    I've been going to work out for 4 weeks now and was at my lowest this a.m., but I went out to eat with the girls after work so my tummy is bulging and I won't be at my lowest tomorrow a.m.! (Was that the LONGEST run-on sentence, ever? Can you tell I have a degree in English?) HA. xo, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a recipe over at The Owl's Kitchen for hot rolls, but I'm trying these too. I LOVE yeast and bred. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I am a girl who LOVES attention. Comment + attention = happy Mindy!

Popular Posts