*When I Am Old* come to life

WARNING
Elizabeth Lucas
When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people's gardens . . .

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.


Mama, Baby Gator and I always observe Black Friday. Tis a tradition that we have been practicing for about 7 years now. Just us girls and we just love it. This year, Baby Gator and I wore our reindeer antlers with bells so you may have seen me!! We always go to Amarillo after the Thanksgiving meal and spend the night so that we are ready to go that Friday!! This year we got there and checked in and decided to go see a movie. Seeing a movie on Thanksgiving day is also a tradition that MANY people observe. There were tons of people there. We were early, so we got our diet cokes and tickets and sat to wait. (I must inject here that my gummy bears were also deeply buried in my purse. If they ever get the technology that the airports have then I am screwed. I always sneak my snacks in....errreeemmm....In case I get low blood sugar YES! That is it!!). Anyway, we are sitting on a bench waiting to get in. On our bench there is Baby Gator, Mama and myself and we are all clutching our diet cokes (my purse is not big enough to include drinks). On the bench next to me on my left is a woman who appeared to be in her 50's with her popcorn bucket and, next to her, her husband holding his drink. We are all just sitting there being polite when a movie lets out. Many people walk by us on there way to their cars. After the initial crowd departs, there is an older woman that comes by and she appears to be alone. She has a walker with wheels (I guess for a quicker get a way). Squeak...Squeak...Step...Step....She walks the carpeted path from the movie and past us. When she gets even to the woman next to me she stops. Her hand reaches out and she scoops up a handful of popcorn and starts munching happily. Squeak...Squeak...Step...Step and off she goes again. She stops and looks in our direction and announces *I am 90 years old*. Squeak....Squeak....Step...Step and out the door she goes. We all sit there a minute in silence. The couple look at us and we look back at them and then we all burst out into laughter. I turn to the woman and say *I am 42 years old...Will that work?*. She says *I don't think so.* and smiles.

Comments

  1. Dear Old Woman:

    I know you are sitting around doing nothing during the Christmas holidays. Get to postin'!

    You have too many good stories not to be writing them down! Put yer lazy ass to work!

    Sincerely,
    SpookyRach

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a stich! I already am wearing purple and red -- I just want to be in practice.
    Love your writing -- I may use this Sunday.
    Thanks and blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I am a girl who LOVES attention. Comment + attention = happy Mindy!

Popular Posts